Oct 1, 2007

Research Outline draft 01

I spent last couple of weeks reviewing thesis projects of other students from previous years to get a better idea about what I might want to include in my own thesis. After a one on one council with my Thesis Advisor, Mike C., I came up with a preliminary outline for my research:
Cultural Aspect:
1. Analysis of collecting memorabilia
- What is the philosophy behind it? Why do we collect keepsakes?
- Investigate the emotion connection between keepsakes and fond memory
- How much of the emphasis is on the object vs. the personal experience of participating in the activity?
- References: Reading materials on Baseball Memorabilia

Artistic Aspect:
1. The Design of the baseball card
- From a historical perspective, study the changes in print design of the cards
i. Typography
ii. Pattern
iii. Color palette
iv. Information printed on the front/back of cards
- Various degrees of degradation quality which occurs over time. That "worn-look"!
- Compare different card designs: Realistic, Hyper-stylized, Historical precedence
- Choreography of the card
i. How does it move from one scene to the next?
ii. Scale
iii. Physically it is small. How large should the card appear in the frame?
- References:

2. The Design of the Live-Action background areas - Modern (Present day)
- Neighborhood quality of life
- Time of year
- Choose a Color Palette that is alive and pensive
- References: ESPN Without Sports campaign

3. The Design of the Live-Action background areas - Past memories
- Passage of time
- Choose a thoughtful Color Palette
- Under-exposed, de-saturated hues that evoke "faded" memory characteristic
- References: ESPN Without Sports campaign

4. Context and Proximity
- Recognize and plan out the placement of the baseball card from scene to scene
- How close is the card from the talent in the scene?
- References: Panasonic Toughbook advertisements

5. Look of the Visual Effect
- How does the environment morph from scene to scene?
- References: Panasonic Toughbook advertisements

Technical Aspects:
1. Tracking
2. Compositing
3. Morphing (Environment)
4. Texture and Lighting
5. 2d Animation
So far, this is what I came up with. I believe as I continue my research, there will be more ideas, documents, and opportunities to refine my concept, thus adding to my paper.

No comments: