Nov 7, 2007

Animatic Draft 01

Today I'm posting my first iteration of the animatic for my thesis. Right now however, my animatic is not synchronized with the storyboards & script because I am currently revising certain story elements: The mirror is out of the story. One of the biggest arguments that arising from the faculty critique (almost 2wks ago) was the issue of over complicating the story. This was a hot topic for me because I really had become so attached to the idea. I feel very strongly about taking the internal struggle with leaving the clock and visually externalizing it for the viewer. I believe the mirror will accomplish this in the scene. Then later in the story, it reflects the turning point for the bird, when the cuckoo bird sees, because of the mirror, the device which originally prompted it to make the choice that it made. Thank God for my friends.

I asked a few friends of mine for their opinions about having the mirror in the story. Not surprisingly they agreed it did add a level of complexity which may not be necessary. Why does everyone prescribe to that proof: "The shortest distance between to points is a straight line", except me? But you know what? They all make a lot of sense, and I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong (sometimes ;-)). One suggestion I received was to have the bird escape to the outside world, but unbeknown to the bird, he is no better outside than he was inside the clock. This conclusion really would be obvious to the view, but not to the bird. Stupid birds. I think it's a brilliant idea! So I wrote the mirror out of the story. Except now I need to re-think the layout of my opening sequence. Oh bother.



Animatic (6mb)

No comments: